If you qualify for RHW benefits, your dependents eligible for coverage include:
- Your legally married spouse
- Your certified domestic partner* (A Certificate of Registration of Domestic Partnership must be filed with the California Secretary of State. Both partners must satisfy the criteria for domestic partnership under California law, and you may enroll your opposite-sex domestic partner only if at least one of you is age 62 or older.)
- Your or your spouse’s or eligible domestic partner’s* unmarried natural child, legally adopted child (or child placed for adoption), or step-child who is dependent upon you for support, and is:
- Either under age 19, or under age 24 and a full-time student enrolled in an accredited educational institution; or
- Unemployable because of permanent or physical disability that began while covered under the plan either prior to age 19, or between the ages of 19 and 24 while enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited educational institution; or
- A child you are required to cover under a Qualified Medical Child Support Order.
- Your foster child who meets the criteria noted in the Fund’s Application for Coverage of a Foster Child as an Eligible Dependent.
*Note that you might be responsible for paying taxes on the value of the coverage provided to your domestic partner or to his or her child(ren). Contact the Fund Office for more information.